Each massage school that you consider will have one big number: the tuition price. It will also have a whole bunch of smaller numbers to consider, and these are important to research because they can add up fast.
Questions To Ask:
- What is covered in the tuition. Does it cover books, materials, clinic materials like sheets and lotions?
- Does the school provide you with a massage table when you leave the program?
- Consider your commute. Depending on where the school is located, you will need to factor in the cost of gas and your time to drive there.
- How long is the program? If you are taking time off of work to attend massage school, a longer program may cost you more money in the sense of wages lost.
- How many hours is the program? It’s important to compare apples to apples - some schools may have a lower tuition, but not offer as many program hours. So consider that a 500 hour may be priced lower than a 1000 hour school, but you may not get enough education to meet your career goals or license requirements.
Most people don’t have the cash in hand to pay for massage school in full. If you want loans or grants to help pay for massage school, you need to make sure that your school is Accredited and offers Financial Aid to students.
If your school has a Financial Aid Advisor to help you apply for financial aid, they can answer your questions and help you through the process.
Questions to Ask:
- What financial aid am I qualified for?
- Do I have to pay this money back (loans), or not (grants)?
- When do I have to start making payments?
- What is the interest rate?
- Can the interest rate change?
- Are these private or Federal loans?
- What is the cost of tuition after Financial Aid (what do I still owe)?
This article is a part of our series on How to Choose The Best Massage School For You.
Want to learn more about how to choose the best massage school for you? Download our Massage School Comparison Guide e-book for lots of great tips and questions to consider, plus a printable checklist to take with you to school tours.